Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Hunger Games Trilogy Leave Me Hungry for More

In my last post, I raved about the first book in this trilogy, The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. Well, over the past two days, I finished the other two books: Catching Fire, which came out in 2009, and the newest one that just came out, Mockingjay. The first two were on the New York Times Bestsellers List; and the final book, which has only been out for a week or so, is already on the list. It already made number 3 in the Los Angeles Times Bestsellers List

Normally, I don't read a book a day. I do have other things that occupy my time. But having the second and third book of the trilogy on hand turned out to be a good thing, as I don't think I could have waited a year for the next one to come out. The Hunger Games Trilogy is some of the best writing I've come across in a long time, no matter who the intended audience was. These books are amazing, with a strong yet conflicted and tragic heroine, lots of action peppered with introspection, self-doubt, fire, and strong moral fiber.

To say more about these books will give away too much of their content. I will say that the content of the first book caused both me and, according to the dust jacket, Stephanie Meyer (author of the Twilight Saga) to dine with the first book. I even warned my husband to bring reading material with him so I wouldn't have to keep the book under the table. By the second book, I just sequestered myself and left him to fend for himself. Last night, I hated the fact that I was exhausted and fell asleep in the middle of the action.

My enthusiasm for The Hunger Games Trilogy is pushing at me to tell all about the second and third books. The action is so tightly woven throughout the books that to tell a little results in an inadequate presentation of the content, and to tell just a little more results in sharing too much of the story. This trilogy is a must read for young adults and many freedom-loving not-so-young adults. Read these books and see what I mean. You will not be disappointed.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your comments here.