Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So much to read...

For weeks now, I've been trying to get back to the children's books from which I used to teach not only literature, but also behavior. Then there are the books I got for my grandchildren and nieces and nephews. So many books! So many activities! Where does one start? Clearly, I can use some help.

What would you like to see me write about? Do you have a favorite book for which you would like activities? Is there something you want to discuss with children, but feel like you need a conversation starter--like a book that can be used to introduce the idea? Is there an age group for which you would like book suggestions?

As an example of what I mean, I decided to read some books that my granddaughter asked for several years ago--the Junie B. Jones series. As is my usual method, I decided to start with the first book in the series. That meant the first book I read was Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus. Before I go any further, I have to say that Barbara Park, the author, clearly has the ability to see things from the vantage point of a young child. Junie B. is everthing that our mothers love and all they try to socialize out of us: she is assertive, inquisitive, brave, resourceful, caring, sensitive, brash, loud, petulant, lovable--everything a young child can be and more. She's larger than life and familiar as our memories. In this book, it is the first day of school and Junie B. starts kindergarten, which is not what she expected. (Continued below.)




Older children can read this book to remind them of their first day of school--adventures and misadventures--and the excitement that went with it. It can be used with pre-schoolders to introduce the idea of classroom in a larger school building. It can be used purely to entertain children.

Almost each chapter suggests to me an activity that can help a child preparing for that first day of school. For a child having problems socializing with a particular individual, the book suggests ways to make friends or influence enemies. The chapters are short, and are readily discussable--both for funny events and for problematic situations. For example, the day before school starts, Junie B. visits the school to meet her teacher and see the classroom.  Junie B. chooses a red chair that she will sit in when she comes tomorrow. But the next day, Junie B. finds someone else sitting in the chair, and that girl has no intention of giving it up.  Junie B. backs down and looks for another seat. By then, Junie B. is stuck with a yellow chair that reminds her of the stupid smelly bus. Questions that naturally flow from this event are: Did Junie B. do the right thing in not pursuing an argument? Might the girl have given up the chair if Junie B. had acted differently? What else chould one do in a similar situation?

So, Dear Reader, what would you like to see? Please let me know!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your comments here.